Thursday, March 17, 2016

The Steadicam Problem

As previously discussed, I really want to shoot the opening as a tracking shot on a steadicam. And as perviously discussed, they are really expensive.

And it's not just the money issue, it the actual-shooting-the-film-with-a-steadicam-up-stairs issue. I talked to Mrs. Stoklosa and she warned me of the problems of shooting with a steadicam up stairs. She said that either I should forget the steadicam shot or break the one shot. However, I am stubborn as hell and refuse, like a pouty child.

So, the first thing I need to do is find a steadicam for an iPhone. There are plenty of homemade steadicams that I can make, like $14 camera stabilizer or  $15 camera stabilizer, or some real ones that can be found on Amazon, which are obviously more expensive. Not sure which one to use, because if the do-it-yourself ones work, then I'll try to make it. If not, I'll probably have to bite the bullet and buy one. Still looking into all the available options.

Another problem is the actual filming with the steadicam up the stairs. I've gone over many scenarios how to film it, with Mrs. Stoklosa and in my head. What I think will work the best is to use the railings, and move the camera up them. I think that will work the best to get the shot I want, but I still need to practice with whatever steadicam I end up using for the opening.

This predicament really got me thinking. This is just a two minutes student film opening. Imagine what full productions have to deal with. Sure, there is obviously more crew (more experienced crew), but they must deal with such problems,  all the time, the job has to be super stressful, yet rewarding when you fix the problem and make the film better because of it.

Until next time.

<Lee, Johnny Chung. "$14 Camera Stabilizer." $14 Camera Stabilizer. Johnny Chung Lee, 2000. Web. 06 Apr. 2016.>

<Defnyung. "Original $15 DIY DSLR Steadicam "The Silver Flyer" Stabilizer." YouTube. YouTube, 27 Dec. 2011. Web. 10 Apr. 2016.>

<Amazon. Amazon, n.d. Web. 2016.>

No comments:

Post a Comment