Friday, March 25, 2016

Music or No Music?

The sole reason non digetic music/score/stings are used in a production is to elevate what is being viewed on screen. I mean, what else is the point, to give more Oscars that regular people dread as they wait for Best Actor?

However, silence can also elevate a scene. There are many examples, but one in particular, and what made me realize this last night, is Lawrence of Arabia. In the three hours and thirty-six minutes (holy hell the film is long), director David Lean uses composer Maurice Jarre's terrific score in times when the film needed it to be used. However, he uses silence and lack of sound when the film needed to as well. For example, the introductory scene of Sherif Ali. Silence. Or at least no score. And it works, with the amazing shot of the weird mirage/heat thing of Ali riding he camel to Lawrence and his guide.

So, what does this have to do with my opening? An option I've been weighing and pondering is to whether or not to use a score for the opening. And if Lawrence of Arabia taught me anything (other than there is a good reason this is Spielberg's favorite film of all time) is that silence can be used well.
Now, the setting of my film is not in the Middle East or in the desert. Nor will it be shot in 70MM. However, I feel confident more than ever after watching the fictionalized version of T.E. Lawrence's WWI experience that I can use silence, and will use silence to make the opening more chilling.

Alrighty then. I also am finally going to pick a steadicam method tomorrow, as I will have a discussion with my parents. That will be written tomorrow for ALLLLLL of my readers who are so enthralled with my decisions and are biting their nails in anticipation. I know. You can wait. It's ok.

Until next time.


<"Lawrence of Arabia." IMDb. IMDb.com, n.d. Web. 10 Apr. 2016.>
<"David Lean." IMDb. IMDb.com, n.d. Web. 10 Apr. 2016.>
<Oldmoviemusic. "Lawrence of Arabia - Main Theme - Maurice Jarre." YouTube. YouTube, 17 July 2009. Web. 10 Apr. 2016.>
<Movieclips. "Lawrence of Arabia (2/8) Movie CLIP - Ali's Well (1962) HD." YouTube. YouTube, 06 Oct. 2012. Web. 10 Apr. 2016.>
<"Trivia." IMDb. IMDb.com, n.d. Web. 10 Apr. 2016.>

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your blog! It was entertaining and I think one of its strengths is that your personality is easily seen through your writing. Besides that you document in-depth plans for this film and they aid readers in getting a thorough understanding of your goals. Another thing that you do well is showing the research that you’ve done about other productions, I enjoyed this post especially. By referencing a very famous and well made film you also show that you know what you’re talking about when it comes to movies. One thing that I believe would improve your blog would be to add media to your posts. Right now they consist mainly of text which although is well written needs to be balanced by other media forms. You’ve talked about sound allot in your blog so maybe you could include examples of scores that you like and want to recreate. Or with this post for example maybe you could have included a picture from Lawrence of Arabia. It would aid your blog in becoming more well rounded. Citations are a necessity in blogs as well when referencing other productions or creations.

    ReplyDelete