Saturday, March 26, 2016

Sound and the Foley Stage

Sound is always a key sense. As the once godly George Lucas said "The sound and music are 50% of the entertainment in a movie." And that was before the prequels, so we should listen to the advice.

Regarding my film and the lack of dialogue, I am at a luxury of actually being able to choose whether or not I want to record all sound live or not. And, I've decided against it.

After watching the art of a Foley Stage (and the last illusion I had about movie making flushed away) in Media Studies earlier this year, I learned that hardly any sound, other than the dialogue, is recorded on location. Rather they do it mostly on a Foley stage.

So that's what I will do. And I've made a list for all the things that I would need to create for the opening.

List:
Car Engine turning off
Car door opening and closing
Footsteps walking from the car to the room
House door opening and closing
Mother's feet shuffling
Tie hitting the ground
Shoes being kicked off
Mother's and Father's dialogue
Room's door opening
Knife hitting the floor
Sound of muffled crying

Nothing too hard. As some may have noticed (I expect no one to notice), I added the knife part. That's is what the main character will be holding and drop when he gets to his room. It adds more layers to the scene, as he doesn't want a murder weapon in his room and doesn't care who sees it. I like it. Therefore it's in the opening.

Until next time.


<"George Lucas." IMDb. IMDb.com, n.d. Web. 10 Apr. 2016.>
<SoundIdeasCanada. "What Is Foley Sound by Sound Ideas." YouTube. YouTube, 05 Dec. 2011. Web. 10 Apr. 2016.>
<Stoklosa, Tina. "AICE Media Studies." AICE Media Studies. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Apr. 2016.>

1 comment:

  1. I really like the fact that you will be using foley sounds to enhance the sound in your film. I think that doing so will make it seem more realistic and much better quality than filming with the sound. Watch out for typos in your posting. "Nothing to hard" in the last paragraph should be written as "nothing too hard." Other than that, good job!

    ReplyDelete